More than 80% of the wine made in the U.S. is made in California. It’s the fourth largest producer of wine in the world, thanks to the optimal grape growing climate. For visitors, this means plenty of beautiful wine regions to visit where you can try the wine and enjoy the beautiful setting.
BEST TIME TO VISIT
To us, any time is a great time for a wine tasting trip. However, the ideal time to visit the wineries in the late summer and early fall, when the vines are still laden with juicy bunches of grapes and wineries are buzzing with activity. However it can be quite busy at that time.
–Visit a variety of wineries, from big to small, organic, and family-owned.
— Book wine tasting appointments as early as possible.
— Rent bicycles for a better view of the surroundings and greater freedom.
— Make sure to have a designated driver or sip and spit.
POPULAR wine regions
5 WINERIES TO VISIT IN CALIFORNIA
- Raymond Vineyard –Visitors at Raymond Vineyards can become “Winemakers for a Day” and learn the art of winemaking while mixing their own red wine from Napa’s prestigious appellations.
- Stag’s Leap – If you’ve watched Bottle Shock, you know that Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars won the Cabernet Sauvignon competition in the 1976 Judgment of Paris. The winery was founded in 1970, and is considered a Napa Valley first-growth estate.
- Rodney Strong – Rodney Strong, in Sonoma, makes some of the finest wine in the Alexander and Russian River valleys. You’ll also get to try some reserve wines that you won’t be able to get anywhere else, and they’re all very nice.
- Edna Valley Vineyard – Edna Valley, located in San Luis Obispo, is committed to creating world-class Chardonnays in the tradition of the first vines planted in the area back in the 1800s. They’ve been perfecting the wine since 1980.
- Turley Wine Cellars – Started in 1993 by Larry Turley, one of the original Frog’s Leap founders, this winery in Paso Robles concentrates mostly on Zinfandel and Petite Syrah from old vine vineyards, some of which date back to the late 1800s.